Tuesday, October 29, 2013

To C. Milloy: The Real HU Basher Extraordinaire



Hello,

I am a junior/senior attending Howard University, the Mecca!  When I say Mecca I mean an institution of that has produced many intelligent iconic figures in the arts, business, science, and other disciplines.  While I was not in attendance at this year's Yardfest, I did happen to read your article regarding the event.  I was highly disappointed.  What could have been an excellent, critical review of the history of Yardfest to what it has become today (I agree that it is not the homecoming ritual that it once was) you sought your hardest to diminish the credibility not only of this amazing homecoming event, but also the university itself.  

I will admit while I had rough beginnings at the institution, and even belong to a discipline that will be discontinued in 2015 following my school's Academic Renewal which happened in order to focus on the school's research based disciplines, your article was distasteful and poorly written.  It was filled with satire, bias, and NON-constructive criticism.  As a follower of the Washington Post and an almost journalist, I have to say YOU NEED TO DO BETTER.  Instead of inspiring my fellow students to do better and to encourage other students/pupils to do better, you are surely attempting to incite a riot, another subject for another one of your less-than well thought out articles.  Nowhere in the article did you seek to ask any specific alumni or current Howard University students for their thoughts on the event that occurred this past Friday.  Instead you assumed that we are culture-less, uncouth and ignorant- seemingly the main argument of any person criticizing the lives and experiences and events of Blacks in this country.  I assure you that had you attempted to do more research regarding this event you would have found many disappointed yet strong student leaders ready to take action to ensure that next year's homecoming events do not end in a similar way.

Please, my friend, the next time you decide to write an "article" about my school, do it with some professionalism and some class- both of which your "article" lacked.  

Until next time (or will there be one?),


Diamond Broussard
Fashion Merchandising
Howard University

No comments:

Post a Comment